We need to do something, a viral intervention, to save the reefs and also to reduce poverty.” – Prof. Jamaluddin JompaPlenary Speaker of the 4th Asia Pacific Coral Reef Symposium in Philippines, 2018
Name : Prof. Jamaluddin Jompa, PhD |Nationality : Indonesian
Email : email@example.com
- PhD in Marine Ecology: Coral reef degradation / Coral-algal phase shift, James Cook University, Townsville, Australia (2002)
- M.Sc in Coral reef assessment and monitoring, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada (1996)
- B.Sc in Mariculture, Hasanuddin University, Makassar, Indonesia (1989)
Main Area of Expertise
- Marine Ecology; especially coral reef ecosystem dynamic, interaction between benthic organisms and the effects of changing environment (both natural such as sea surface temperature/climate change and anthropogenic such pollution, sedimentation, and eutrophication) on the ecosystem balances.
- Marine Organism & Fisheries Management; especially threaten species, charismatic species, coastal fisheries, coral reef fish biology, population, as well as stock assessment.
- Marine Protected Area (MPA) and Coastal Management; especially on the effectiveness of MPA management, connectivity, zoning, MPA planning, MPA networks, community based MPA management, as well as the roles of MPA on tourisms.
Past and Current Positions/Tasks/Working Experiences (Selected):
|2017– Present- Chair, Center of Excellent for Marine Resilience and Sustainable Development (MaRSAVE)-Unhas|
2013 – 2017: Dean of Faculty of Marine Science and Fisheries, Hasanuddin University, Makassar
1990 – Present: Lecturer at Faculty of Marine Science and Fisheries, Hasanuddin University, Makassar.
2015- Present: President of Indonesian Young Academy of Science (ALMI)
2010- 2013: Director, Research and Development Center for Marine, Coast, and Small Island, Hasanuddin University.
2012 – 2014 : Chairman, Science Advisory Group for National Coordinating Committee, CTI (Coral Triangle Initiative)
2011 – Present: Board Member of Coral Triangle Center (CTC)
2009-Present: Member of National Commission on Fisheries Stock Assessment, Ministry of Marine Affairs and Fisheries.
2007 – 2011: Executive Secretary, Coral Reef Rehabilitation and Management Project (COREMAP II), Marine Affairs and Fisheries
2009-2011: Secretary: Sec. Div. of Indonesian National Coordinating Committee (NCC) Coral Triangle Initiative (CTI)
2008-2010: Member and/or Head of Delegation of Indonesian CTI Coordinating Committee, Government of Indonesia: Chairman of the Regional CTICoordinationMechanism and Development Partners Working Group, and Chairman of the CTI Working Group on Financial Mechanisms.
2004 – 2010: Director/Person in Charge; The Center for Coral Reef Research, Hasanuddin University.
2003 – 2007: Team Leader: Cluster 1; Reef Based Ecosystems of Indonesian-Germany Cooperation on Science for Protection of Indonesian Coastal Ecosystem (SPICE)
2004 – 2006: Team Leader: Impact of aquaculture on coastal ecosystem in Barru (Sponsored by ACIAR Australia, and in collaboration with Australian Institute of Marine Science and RICA Maros)
2004-2006: Chairman, Provincial Task Force for the Marine and Coastal Management Program (MCRMP), Sulsel
2005 – Present: International Scientific Advisory member of Coral Reef Research Unit, Essex University, UK. Indonesian Counterpart for CRRU on coral reef research in Wakatobi Island, Operation Wallacea.
2005: Team Leader, Developing Local Content Curriculum for Elementary School on Coastal Management, Bintuni District Papua. CRMP II USAID, Jakarta
2006: Local partner of Pew fellowship (USA) for Marine Conservation (Australia, Philippine and Indonesia): Coordinating all activities in Indonesia related to the fellowship by Dr. McCook of Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority.
2004 – 2007: Director South Sulawesi Regional Center Indonesian Sea Partnership Program, MMAF
2003: Team Leader/Coral Reef Specialist, Profiling the state of coastal area and small islands of Makassar City. Environmental Impact Protection Agency (BAPEDALDA) MAKASSAR.
2003: Researcher. Study on Marine and Fisheries Resources in Central Halmahera, North Maluku. Marine and Coastal Study Institute (Central Halmahera).
2003: Tim leader and coral reef scientist. Artificial reef construction and deployment in Spermonde Archipelago, Pangkep District. Dept. of Fisheries and Marine Affairs, South Sulawesi.
2003-2004: Team Leader of CM, Coastal Community Economic Empowerment in Pinrang Regency: Directorate General of Coastal and Small Islands, GOI.
2003: Team Leader/Marine and Coastal Management Specialist, Assessment of Marine and Fisheries Exhibition (Etalase) Program in Gorontalo Province (For Eastern Indonesia), Society Commission on the Environment (SCEnt)
2002: Chief scientist on marine ecology / Coral Reef Specialist. Prospect of natural resource use and management in North Maluku, LPPM Unhas
2002: Field Research Coordinator/Coral Reef Specialist. Integrated Marine Resource (Coral Reef, Seagrasses, and Mangrove) Management Strategies in South Sulawesi Using GIS and Zoning Approaches. Regional Research and Development Agency (BALITBANGDA), South Sulawesi
2001: Marine Ecologist, Condition, potential, and conservation of sea grass beds as an important part of coastal resources in South Sulawesi, Regional Research and Development Agency (BALITBANGDA), South Sulawesi
2002: Team Leader/Coral Reef Ecology Specialist. Ecological Assessment of Spermonde Archipelago, South Sulawesi, ADB-COREMAP
2002-2004: Vice Director, Center for Coral Reef Studies (CCRS), Hasanuddin University
2001-2002: Member of Research and Training Committee, CRITC-COREMAP, South Sulawesi Province COREMAP
2001: Team Member, Global International Water Assessment (GIWA), UNEP: Conducting water assessment for Indonesian Seas using GIWA methodology/approaches.
2000: Teaching Assistance, Teaching on Marine Botany, James Cook University, Australia: 1997 – 2001: Associate member of the Cooperative Research Centre (CRC) for reef study, Australia
1997 – 2000: AIMS’ s Associate staff and Cruise Leader, Sustaining Coral Reef Project, Australian Institute of Marine Science, Townsville
1997: Secretary of Marine Science Department, Faculty of Marine Science and Fisheries, Hasanuddin University
- 2018 Outstanding Alumni Award, by JCU, 2018
- Unhas Rector Award: Lecturer with highest H-Index (2016)
- US-Indonesia Kavli Award, 2012,2013
- Indonesian President Medal for 20 years services as Civil Servant, 2012
- AUSAID PhD’s Scholarship Award, 1997
- ADB Master’s Scholarship Award, 1993
- Second Best Student Award, at university level, Hasanuddin University, 1989
- Best Student Award at faculty level, 1989
Recent Selected Grants Awarded
2018: 35k US$ KEMENRISTEKDIKTI & UNHAS research grants for Coral Reef Biology, Ecology, & Management.
2017: 25k US$ KEMENRISTEKDIKTI and UNHAS research grants for Coral Reef Biology, Ecology, and Management.
2015: 350k US$ ADB, CTI-RETA for Ecosystem Approach for Fisheries Management (EAFM) and Live Reef Food Fish Trade (LRFT)
2013: 150k US$ USAID Research Grant for PEER on Coral Diseases in Indonesian water
2012: 100k US$ Word Bank for Project Preparation Grant for COREMAP design study.
- 7 book/book chapters
- 62 International and 60 Nasional publications
- 51 times as Invited/Keynote/Plenary Speakers at national level
- 31 times as Invited/Keynote/Plenary Speakers at international level
- 120 times as resource persons on workshops/trainings